Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Proof of Heaven

Every now and then I seem to pick up one of these types of books - something that refreshes in my memory who we are and where we are going. It is great to read one of these; it helps me put a lot of things in perspective, and I sweat the small things a lot less afterwards.

Proof of Heaven was written by a neuro surgeon who had a Near Death Experience (NDE). NDEs and Out of Body experiences have fascinated me for a long time... perhaps the first I heard about it was in school - there was a book in our school library on the subject. The subject is fascinating, particularly if you have wondered for any length of time about life after death.

In any case, the neuro surgeon in question, named Eben Alexander, had no belief in life after death prior to his experience. He had listened to his patients talk about it sometimes, but he always dismissed it as a case of the brain playing tricks on them. Although he was a member of the Episcopal Church, he was not a very firm believer, so he mostly just nodded his agreement out of politeness when patients talked about having had contact with their dead relatives when they were in difficult situations.

I will not outline the whole story here - but it is a fascinating and (to me) believable account of what happened to the doctor and how it changed him into a complete believer in life after death. His account matches what most others before him have given, the only difference is that he tries to go into a lot of medical detail to prove that it really happened to him and was not a figment of his imagination. Not being a doctor, I couldnt really tell whether his medical details all fitted well with each other or not - I have no idea if the numbers he is quoting is really that impressive or not. I think his intention was to convert at least a few medical professionals into believers so that they are more sympathetic with their patients.

I think it was a good read, although perhaps a short one. There seemed to be a few loose ends to the story, but I think it can be excused, given that it was a very personal one. I dont expect the poor guy to fill the pages of a book with every detail of his life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment