Monday, January 21, 2013

The Art of Choosing

I had been thinking of reading this book ever since I listened to a TED talk by the author - the talk was fascinating, and I felt the book would be just the same. In addition, I thought I would be better equipped while making decisions if I read the book.

The book was really interesting - it looks a lot into how the same action or result can have different effects on people based on whether they think they chose the outcome or not. For example, couples who had made a choice to take their children off of life support were significantly unhappier than couples whose doctors had made the decision to take their children off of life support. There were also many examples on how one's cultural background can have an effect on one's outlook on choice itself.

The part that I was disappointed about was that the book did not really present me with a method by which I could make foolproof decisions for myself. I dont think I really think differently about making choices or decisions as a result of reading the book.

Other than that, definitely a good read. Not a very practical advicey type of book though.


No comments:

Post a Comment